OCEAN DREAMS




     I love this piece of Art. It is from the island of Maui and it reminds me of my favorite place to be. This evokes the emotions of pure joy and aloha in my heart. It reminds me of a simple time, a magical time and makes me long for the salty air and sandy beaches. My family loves to visit Maui and walk around downtown Lahaina and browse the art galleries on the ocean. I would definitely love to own some of this artists work. The artists name is  Amanda McCumbee. She is a photorealistic artist based in Maui. Through the use of crisp edges and vibrant colors, she strives to bring the beautiful Hawaiian scenery and wildlife around her to canvas. I can not tell when this work was created but I do know it was created in Hawaii and her gallery is in Maui. You can find her work on the internet here. I enjoy the natural freeform organic shapes of this picture. The color sets a dramatic tone that makes you feel like you are in a tranquil state of mind, useing the cool colors of blue -violet that are perfectly balanced with the warmer colors of yellow-orange. The triangle shapes in the sand at the bottom of the picture draw your eye upward to the honu. The squares and rectangle shapes on the honus shell signify strength and stability. The vertical lines of the shining sun suggest the height and strength of the sun shining down into the depths of the water to create a sense of depth to the image. It feels amazing to snorkel with these beautiful creatures and I just love the natural beauty of this image.



Comments

  1. Hi Jessica,
    my dream is to visit Hawaii in the near future and this art piece is absolutely stunning. The colors are so vibrant and the painting looks so realistic. I bet it feels amazing to snorkel with these amazing animals and I just had to add this activity to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    I would love to visit Hawaii! This image is beautiful. I love the ocean and the animals there and this picture is so vibrant and it is defiantly an attention getter! I wouldn't mind owning a few painting by her as well. I am learning that art is not just painted, that paintings are just one of the different types of art. I would love to snorkel with the turtles. I have swam with the dolphins, so I think I may add that to my bucket list next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    This painting is absolutely breathtaking! I actually found myself looking for more of her paintings after seeing this (which is something I NEVER DO!). The bight vibrant colors as well as the dark smooth colors create a beautiful contrast and really allow for you to picture the light shining from above.

    The idea of snorkeling sounds interesting but I'm not sure if its something that I can see myself doing as I really hate going on boats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica,
    I love art pieces like this one! I agree with you that the vibrant colors just feels like Hawaii. The power of color in a painting is huge. Just the color palette of a painting can present you with feelings of warm, coldness, happiness, and sadness. Another technique that brought this painting to life was the depth she added to the background. I have lots of family in Hawaii and have gone to Maui a lot. When I opened your blog, I recognized the painting style immediately. I think my aunt might have one of her paintings from a family trip to Maui. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    I too like photorealistic artists and their work. I like the realistic approach that is still humanized by the way that each artist leaves a piece of themselves in their work. I feel that photographers can have a similar impact on a photo, but with paintings, it adds another level of personalism to the work.
    A favorite photorealistic piece of art for me is Flowered Table Top by Ralph Goings (link below). I'm personally attached to it because it reminds me of going to our local diner with my grandparents, but I also love the realistic use of color to get the reflections and sheen from the napkin dispenser.

    http://www.artnet.com/artists/ralph-goings/flowered-table-top-ckYfpyncaT8T-qz46bHsVg2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for telling us so much about your personal experience of this so we could see it through your eyes. I really like this one too! I don't like the water at all, but this turtle seems so happy and at peace there that I almost want to join in. I love the blue-yellow pair too. I wouldn't have noticed what you said about the crisp lines and organic shapes, but since you pointed it out I agree that it adds a lot to the feeling of timelessness I get from the image. Sort of like this isn't A turtle, but the representation of All turtles. The stillness and gentleness of it all wouldn't come across the same way with stricter geometric shapes or less definition between the elements.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Myself.

Baroque